About AASA / Operations
AASA is the leading representative airline organisation within southern Africa, working together with leaders of the aviation industry and senior public and government officials on policy, regulatory, planning, operational, safety, security and financial matters affecting the overall profitability of the airlines and their continued sustainability.
AASA Safety Committee
This committee is an AASA Standing Committee and meets quarterly. In the interest of safety of the aviation industry, it is open to all airlines, both AASA and non-AASA Members to attend, as well as all industry role players which have an interest in the improvement of aviation safety.
There is an open exchange of information where areas of concern are raised by Airports Company South Africa (ACSA), Air Traffic Navitation Services (ATNS), the South African Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and all industry stakeholders.
Airline Safety Officers are encouraged to share information and learn from each other’s experiences. Problem areas identified are discussed and resolved amongst committee members. This Committee contributes to the overall improvement of safety, and where appropriate it will make recommendations in respect of proposed regulations or amendment thereof.
Aviation Co-ordination Services
- 100% Hold Baggage Screening;
- Baggage Reconciliation;
- Common Use Terminal Equipment (CUTE) – maintenance, operation and management;
- Common User Self Service Kiosks (CUSS) – maintenance operation and management; and
- Cargo Screening on behalf of certain clients.
AASA is active in working with ACS, ACSA and the member airlines in provision of these services at the highest international standards in compliance with the International Civil Aviation Authority (ICAO) Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPS) and Civil Aviation Regulations.
Local Airport Security Committee
Other operational matters
- Hand baggage: AASA was instrumental in working with ACSA and the airlines to draft a Hand Baggage Policy to control the carriage of hand baggage on board the aircraft. This process was implemented on 2 February 2015.
- Amendment of Regulations for Persons with Disabilities: AASA is working with ACSA and airlines to draft proposed amendments to the Civil Aviation Regulations to clarify the process for the transport of passengers with disabilities. This is currently work in progress.
- Slot coordination: AASA is a member of the Slot Coordination Committee of South Africa, which seeks to manage the efficient use of slots and thereby optimise the utilisation of airspace and airport infrastructure.
- Air Traffic Services: AASA is a member of the Committee comprising ATNS, the South African Department of Transport (DoT) and members of the industry in the implementation of Performance Based Navigation (PBN) within South Africa.
- Weather Service: AASA works with the South African Weather Service (SAWS) and the airlines to consider new developments or initiatives and service delivery issues.
- Airport Management Centre (AMC): AASA supports the AMC in its work and is part of the forum which on a quarterly basis reviews the performance of all stakeholders impacting the efficient operations at aiports.