L L News & Industry Affairs / Environment
L Environment News
Spotlight / 2023
- May 10 - 12. AASA attends the EU-CORSIA Africa & Caribbean Regional Workshop: CORSIA Implementation after ICAO 41st General Assembly
- April 6. Global Electric Aircraft Market Forecast 2023-2032 – Market size, drivers, trends, and competitors
- April 6. EU draws criticism as it proposes green label for some aviation investments
- April 6. UK agency has backed billions’ worth of aviation deals since Paris agreement
- April 5. SABA takes sustainable aviation fuel market to new heights with corporate support
- April 5. Why Europe is emerging as a green aviation test bed
- April 4. Battle brews in US over climate law credits for aviation biofuels
- March 27. Stepping stones to net zero
- March 27. ICAO Council adopts important new and updated international aviation environmental protection standards
- January 5. 11 Sustainable Aviation Trends for 2023
Global Aviation Industry Initiatives
- ICAO's 2050 Net-Zero CO2 Goal for International Aviation
- IATA's actions for the environment: Green recovery for aviation, sustainable aviation fuel and new technologies
- ICAO environmental protection initiatives
- United Nations (UN) Environment Programme report: Aviation and the Global Atmosphere
- ROUTES/AASA training links
Spotlight / 2022
- December 2. Aviation Biofuels Market Growth Segments 2023 Opportunity, Challenges, Risk Factors, Developments, Strategies, and Global Industry Size, Trends Forecast to 2028
- November 29. H2, sustainable fuels and new routes: making aviation green
- November 9. IATA to Expand Environmental Assessment Certification to Airports and GSPs
- October 17. Aerospace majors united on need to cut aviation carbon emissions
- October 17. ACI World welcomes landmark long-term climate goal for aviation
- October 7. UN body reaches long-term aviation climate goal of net zero by 2050
- October 7. Climate change: World aviation agrees 'aspirational' net zero plan
About the EU-CORSIA Africa and Caribbean Project
Capacity building for CO2 mitigation from international aviation In Africa and the Caribbean
The EU-CORSIA Africa and Caribbean action overall objective is to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions from the civil aviation sector. The capacity building for CO2 mitigation from international aviation (Phase II) project (short EU-CORSIA Africa and Caribbean) is funded by the European Commission and implemented by both the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) to contribute primarily to the progressive achievement of SDG GOAL 13: take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
News / 2023
EU-CORSIA Africa and Caribbean Regional Workshop
CORSIA Implementation after ICAO 41st General Assembly
Dates: May 10 - 12 2023
Venue: Protea Hotel Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton, South Africa
The EU-CORSIA Africa & Caribbean project team, in coordination with the African Civil Aviation Commission (AFCAC) and the South African Civil Aviation (SACAA), hosted a regional workshop titled CORSIA Implementation after ICAO 41st General Assembly from 10 - 12 May 2023 in Johannesburg.
Tatum Kok, AASA Aviation Analyst, attended the workshop that addressed the capacity building for CO2 mitigation from international aviation In Africa and the Caribbean regions.
200 participants from 33 different countries participated that took place in a hybrid mode in two languages (English and French).
Ms. Poppy Khoza, CEO of the South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA), opened the workshop; followed by the European Union Delegation to South Africa, represented by the Head of Cooperation, Mr. Theodorus Kaspers; and the African Civil Aviation Commission (AFCAC), Air Transport Director, represented by Mr. Frankline Omondi (on behalf of Ms. Angeline Simana).
EASA was represented by Ms. Carla Iorio, International Cooperation America and Africa, and by Ms. Eleonora Italia, Project Manager of the EU-CORSIA Africa and Caribbean.
>> Workshop Objectives
- Present and detail key changes in the CORSIA system after ICAO 41 Assembly and the impact on CORSIA affected stakeholders.
- Raise knowledge and understanding and promote engagement with national transport/aviation and environment/climate entities as well as regional participation.
- 2022 November. Latest workplan in 4 languages (EN/FR/ES/PT)
- Aviation Safety and Sustainability A European perspective by Carla Iorio – EASA Section Manager America & Africa – International Cooperation EU-CORSIA Africa and Caribbean Project Introductory Presentation by Eleonora Italia - EASA Project Manager
- From Dakar to Johannesburg
- Changes to the CORSIA baseline by Mathias Grossmann - EASA Environmental Expert
- Changes to the percentage of sectoral and individual operator’s growth factor for the calculation of offsetting by Mathias Grossmann - EASA Environmental Expert
- CORSIA Eligible Fuel and Supplementary Information to be Provided by the AO
- CORSIA Experience du Senegal: Défis relatifs à la mise en œuvre du CORSIA (French presentation) by Bocar Hane, Oumar Diallo and Mariama Diouf - Environment Team
- CORSIA Experience du Gabon (French presentation) by Nadine Anato, ANAC Gabon DG
- CORSIA Cabo Verde Experience by Arlindo Borja and Emanuel Sousa, Environment Alternate Focal Point CORSIA, AAC Economic Regulation Experts
- Amendment I to CORSIA SARPs, Environmental Protection -Annex 16, Volume IV
- Group Exercise
- Update on CORSIA Eligible Emission Units and presentation of current regional CORSIA eligible projects in the African region
- Accreditation; proposed amendments in SARPs Annex 16, Volume IV, 2nd Edition (Version July 2022) by Veronica Garcia and John Shideler, EASA GHG/CORSIA/NAB Experts
- AeDMS - Aviation Data Management System by Tahir Riaz, Aamir Saeed and Fareed Badvi, Aviation Emission Data Management System Experts
>> Useful Links
- European Union Aviation Safety Agency
- European Commission International Partnerships in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Diplomatic Service of the European Union (EU) in the world - find your country of reference
- The European Green Deal: Striving to be the first climate-neutral continent
- ICAO Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA)
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Global Goal 13: CLIMATE ACTION