- February Air Passenger Market Analysis
- February Air Freight Market Analysis
- January Air Passenger Market Analysis
- January Air Freight Market Analysis
- December Air Passenger Market Analysis
- December Air Freight Market Analysis
- November Air Passenger Market Analysis
- November Air Freight Market Analysis
- October Air Passenger Market Analysis
- October Air Freight Market Analysis
- IATA: African airlines show positive growth in air cargo traffic
- September Air Passenger Market Analysis
- September Air Freight Market Analysis
- August Air Passenger Market Analysis
- August Air Freight Market Analysis
- July Air Passenger Market Analysis
- July Air Freight Market Analysis
August 2019 IATA Air Passenger Market Analysis
Passenger growth improves, but the trend remains moderate
- Year-on-year growth in industry-wide revenue passenger kilometres (RPKs) edged up to 3.8% in August. Despite the difficult economic conditions in several key markets, the moderate upward trend in passenger traffic continues.
- This month has again been one of record-high load factors. The industry-wide load factor reached 85.7% in August, with records in domestic load factors too, carried by Russia (91%), China (87.6%) and the USA (87.1%).
- Domestic RPK volumes in China grew the fastest of all markets we follow, at 10.1% annually. Year-on-year growth in international RPKs lifted in all regions compared to last month, except Latin America due to slowdown in economic growth and currency depreciation in some of its largest economies.
Africa tops the international growth chart
International RPK volumes registered by African airlines grew by 4.1% in August versus the year ago. This is up from the 3.2% growth rate recorded in July. This solid performance comes after South Africa – the second largest economy in the region after Nigeria – returned to positive economic growth in Q2 2019, following a contraction in activity in Q1.
Continuation of a subdued peak travel season……
Industry-wide growth in revenue passenger kilometres (RPKs) lifted moderately to 3.8% year-on-year in August 2019, up from 3.5% in July.
In seasonally-adjusted (SA) terms, RPK levels continued trending upwards at a soft pace in August. The latest month-on-month change is consistent with the more moderate trend that has been in place since Q2 2018 after a stretch of strong growth from 2016 to early 2018...Download the full document here.