L L News & Industry Affairs / Southern Africa
L Southern Africa News
Spotlight / 2023
- November 27. SAA cargo to reignite airfreight ties with Brazil
- November 24. Airlink: Direct flights between Cape Town and St Helena to resume December 2024
- November 24. TAAG Angola Airlines to increase flights to Sao Paulo
- November 22. KlasJet becomes a partner of Congo Airways
- November 22. TAAG Angola Airlines increases frequencies to regional routes
- November 21. SAA suspends Malawi operations
- November 19. LAM launches Cape Town flights on 12 December
- November 19. Safair: World's most punctual low-cost carrier in October
- November 17. Angola opens tender for Operator of $3 Billion Luanda Airport
- November 14. Air Zimbabwe: New life for African airline
- November 14. SAA launches Abidjan flights & opens new Johannesburg lounge
- November 13. Angola extends visa-free stay for South African travellers
- November 10. Angola opens new $3 billion Luanda International Airport
- November 6. Regional airline Airlink opens in Lusaka and Gaborone
- November 3. LAM update: CPT-MPM flights coming soon
- November 1. LAM Mozambique resumes intercontinental Boeing 777 flights to Lisbon
- November 1. Lift recognised as the Best Domestic Airline in Africa at World Luxury Travel Awards
- November 1. Airlink Expands Malawi Operations
- October 30. Sao Paulo Bound: South African Airways Prepares To Relaunch Its 1st Intercontinental Route
- October 30. New flight will connect key safari destinations in Zimbabwe and South Africa
- October 26. Swissport Joins Forces with IATA in “Focus Africa” Initiative for Aviation Growth
- October 24. ACSA 30th annivesary: celebrates it's vital role in SA’s tourism value chain
- October 23. Disney's biggest retail campaign "Lift's" into the sky
- October 18. Cape Town Air Access wins Routes World Destination Award for second year
- October 16. Zimbabwe’s Tourism Sector Poised To Boom With Upgraded Airports
- October 15. How Thales Is Modernising Zambia's Air Traffic Control System
- October 9. TAAG Angola Airlines to launch London (Gatwick) route, offering visa-free travel for tourists from 98 Countries
- October 6. Airlink wins Outstanding Tourism Transportation Award at Africa Tourism Leadership Forum in Botswana
- October 6. FlySafair adds 4 more regional routes
- October 4. Congo’s Airspace Takes a New Flight Path: Sets Sight for a Second National Airline, Air Congo
- October 3. Air Austral sees strong demand, lays out future widebody need
- October 2. FlySafair lands at Robert Mugabe International airport for its maiden Harare-Johannesburg flight
- October 1. SAA recognised at Association of Zimbabwe Travel Agents (AZTA) 2022-2023 Awards
- August 29. CEO Interview: Rodger Foster
- September 29. Airlink wins Air Connectivity Award (Regional) at the 5th Aviators Africa Tower Awards
- September 5. The pandemic forced major changes among South African airlines
- July 3. South Africa's Federal Air grows fleet as tourism rebounds
- June 29. SAA resumes long haul flights, adds Brazil service
- June 29. Namibia launches new flight route to boost tourism
- June 24. Flight Review: Airlink Embraer E190 Economy Class from Johannesburg to Nairobi
- June 20. The African Civil Aviation Commission (AFCAC) and AviaDev Establish Strategic Partnership
- June 16. Airports Company of Zimbabwe (ACZ) and Zimbabwe Tourism Authority (ZTA) collaborate to lure more airlines
- June 16. Africa braces for expanded aviation networks
- June 12. TAAG Angola Airlines increases frequency on the Luanda-Sao Paulo route
- June 8. LAM Mozambique Reconnects Mozambique and Zambia with Resumption of Lusaka Service from Late-June 2023
- June 5. Airlink partners with Lufthansa Systems
- June 3. Eswatini Air debuts Cape Town route
- June 3. Airlink launches flights to Malawi’s Lilongwe and Blantyre
- June 2. Zambian Govt launches aviation strategy
- June 2. Airlink: two new flight routes launching in South Africa
- June 1. Proflight Zambia welcomes first Boeing 737, marking a milestone in its history
- May 31. Eswatini Air commences with flights to Durban
- May 29. Cape Town Celebrates Intra-Africa Route Expansion
- May 24. LATAM Brasil and Airlink announce Interline agreement
- May 22. New Airlink route will connect Kruger National Park and Victoria Falls
- May 17. New air routes in South Africa: Airlink & Safair
- May 15. TAAG Angola Airlines increases frequency in the Sao Paolo-Luanda route from August ahead
- May 14. Good news for airports and airlines in South Africa
- May 15. Flying in Veldskoen: Lift Airline expands its horizons
- May 11. South African Airways set to resume long-haul flying
- May 11. Amadeus signs distribution partnership with South Africa-based Lift
- May 10. Zimbabwe Tourism Authority (ZTA) signs collaboration MoU with Eswatini counterpart
- May 9. South Africa's LIFT Set To Lease An Airbus A320 From AerCap
- May 8. Eswatini Air launches new route connecting Durban to boost tourism and trade
- May 4. AviaDev Africa celebrates Airlink CEO Rodger Foster with Ato Girma Wake Award
- May 2. Proflight adds Cape Town to its growing list of SA destinations
- May 1. South Africa's Airlink continues to fill air service gap
- April 26. Airlink launches daily Nairobi flights connecting South Africa and Kenya
- April 17. Eswatini Government applauds Zimbabwe over open skies policy
- April 14. Eswatini Air launches first air service to Zimbabwe
- April 12. FlySafair has the green light for new routes
- April 5. LAM Mozambique CEO calls for increased African MRO cooperation
- April 3. Zimbabwe registers 10 new air routes
- March 23. SA budget carrier Airlink launches daily Joburg-Nairobi flights
- March 20. LAM Mozambique looks to expand In 2023
- March 17. CPT International scoops Best Airport in Africa
- March 16. SAA returns to Malawi
- March 16. SAA charts new international flightpath
- March 14. Mozambique announces visa exemption for 28 countries
- March 14. FlySafair launches new regional Zanzibar route
- March 14. Air Zimbabwe plans return to London
- March 10. Big plans for the airports and airlines in South Africa
- March 6. Menzies provides South African Airways with air cargo services at three airports
- March 3. FlySafair has the green light for 3 new regional routes
- March 2. Civil Aviation Authority of Zimbabwe grants two foreign operator permits
- February 24, Eswatini, Zambian airlines get approval to operate in Zimbabwe
- February 20, TAAG Angola Airline identifies SA as key strategic market to grow its cargo business
- February 16, Airlink to restart Johannesburg-Nosy Be service
- February 13, Flysafair to fly to Windhoek, Harare and Zanzibar - and may launch daily Mauritius flights
- February 11, Zambia flights restart in April
- February 8, Proflight introduces exclusive flights to NC’WALA, Zambia
- February 7, SA regional airline LIFT expects to triple seat capacity to 1.5 million: Report
- February 6, SAA to resume flights to Malawi next month
- February 4, The small but diverse fleet of Air Austral In 2023
- February 2, CPaT announces new contract with flag carrier of Mozambique, LAM
- January 27, Air Zimbabwe to expand domestic routes
- January 23, Flights To Resume Between South Africa And Madagascar
- January 14, [Watch] Airlink most punctual airline in SA
- January 10, Flights to Durban ramp up in 2023
- January 9, Network Airline Services becomes UK and Ireland GSSA for TAAG Angola Airlines
- January 5, SA airlines struggling to meet domestic demand amid capacity shortage: report
- January 5, Eswatini Air receives Air Operator Certificate, prepares for launch
- January 3, Kenyans can now visit SA without a visa for three months
- January 3, SA airlines struggling to meet domestic demand, says ACSA
News / 2023
November 23, 2023. Daily Investor News.
Cape Winelands Airport’s redevelopment is moving ahead with a R7 billion plan to improve its commercial operations. The airport is located on a 150-hectare site 13 km northeast of Durbanville. It is, therefore, ideally situated to serve the Cape Town aviation sector.
November 6, 2023. Southern Africa Travel News.
The new country offices will provide customers ticketing, flight reservations, and special services assistance. The airline operates 40 weekly return flights to Ndola, Livingstone, and Lusaka, Zambia and 50 weekly return flights to Kasane, Maun, and Gaborone, Botswana.
November 3, 2023. Southern Africa Travel News.
In a first for the carrier, Federal Airlines has received its R350m order for six brand-new, state-of-the-art Cessna Grand Caravan C208B EX aircraft.
Federal Airlines Group Chairman, Rashid Wally, said: “The Caravan C208B EX embodies our commitment to sustainability, passenger comfort, and overall safety. The new aircraft will enable us to continue to offer our customers the highest levels of service and reliability, and we are grateful and encouraged by the continued support of our loyal industry partners and clients.”
Destinations served by Federal Airlines include the Kruger National Park, Madikwe Game Reserve, Sabi Sands Private Game Reserve, Thornybush Game Reserve, Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, Marakele National Park, and Waterberg Game Park.
June 16, 2023. BizCommunity News.
Cape Town Air Access (CTAA) has confirmed its participation at AviaDev Africa 2023 in Nairobi from 14 to 16 June. Wesgro powers Cape Town Air Access (CTAA), a public-private ecosystem initiative.
Gathering more than 400 attendees from airlines, airports, and tourism boards, the event provides engagement with the African aviation landscape, providing an opportunity to identify new direct routes, and to expand on existing frequencies.
June 16, 2023. BusinessTech.
ACZ and ZTA have joined hands to ensure enhanced collaboration towards luring more airlines into the country so as to promote tourism business activity.
May 14, 2023. BusinessTech.
South Africa’s air capacity has risen following a bleak period for airports and airliners in the country
During her speech on the latest tourism data from the Department of Tourism, Minister Patricia De Lille said that capacity has risen since last year, with a 56% increase in the first quarter of 2023 compared to the previous year: “In 2023, we reached 1.8 million seats, and South Africa welcomed around 23 new routes,” said the minister.
May 2, 2023. Proflight Zambia News.
Proflight Zambia is launching the first ever direct flights between Lusaka and Cape Town, reinforcing the nation’s new-found dominance of the skies between South Africa and Zambia..
April 26, 2023. AirlineGeeks.com
Airlink, Southern Africa’s leading airline, has announced the launch of a new daily flight service from Johannesburg to Nairobi, connecting two of the major regional markets in Africa.
This move also signifies the efforts of both South Africa and Kenya to strengthen bilateral ties and promote tourism and trade between the two countries.
April 17, 2023. ZimLive.
The Government of Eswatini has applauded Zimbabwe's Open Skies Policy and the open-for-business mantra after its airline was recently allowed to operate in the country, following the release of a FOP.
April 14, 2023. ZimLive.
Zimbabwe on Friday welcomed Eswatini Air’s maiden flight into the country with the jet landing at the Robert Gabriel Mugabe International Airport at 11:50 am. Eswatini Air, which is under Royal Eswatini National Corporation, will fly into Harare four times a week, enabling both nationals to fly directly between Mbabane and Harare.
March 20, 2023.
LAM Mozambique is planning to grow its fleet, network, and scope of activities in 2023, following the arrival of another De Havilland Canada Dash 8-400 with another two on their way. Maputo-based LAM is 80 years old, making it one of Africa’s oldest airlines.
March 14, 2023. Further Africa.
Mozambique announces visa exemption for 28 countries for tourism and business as Council of Ministers approve decree
The exemption applies to visitors holding ordinary passports and allows for a 30-day stay, renewable to an additional 60 days. The model adopted by the Mozambican government is similar to the US visa waiver programme in that it requires travelers to register for pre-screening at least 48 hours before traveling, and then pay a processing fee.
March 10, 2023.
The new minister of transport has met with the Board of Airline Representatives of South Africa (BARSA) to discuss plans to reignite the air transport business.
February 24, 2023. Zimbabwe Herald News.
Eswatini Air and Zambia Airways have obtained foreign operator permits from the Civil Aviation Authority of Zimbabwe (CAAZ), underscoring the country's determination to open up the skies. The permits allow the airlines to offer passenger and cargo operations to and from Harare.
February 13, 2023. Carin Smith for News24.
FlySafair is set to expand its regional route network with planned flights to Windhoek, Harare and Zanzibar.
The low-cost airline announced on Monday that it had received permission from the International Air Services Council to fly commercial flights to these three destinations.
Schedules for the new Windhoek and Harare routes are expected to be available by the third quarter of this year, and to Zanzibar by the second quarter of this year...
February 2, 2023. AJOT News.
CPaT Global, the world’s leading provider of distance learning for the airline and aviation industry, today announced they have been awarded a new contract with Linhas Aereas de Mozambique (LAM). CPaT will be providing Aircraft System Courses and our General Subject library for LAM’s pilot training for the Boeing B737NG, including Aircraft Procedures, and Bombardier Q400 planes.
January 5, 2023. Michael Jonga for Aerotime Hub.
The new national carrier of the Kingdom of Eswatini, Royal Eswatini National Airways Corporation (RENAC), trading as Eswatini Air, has received its Air Operator Certificate.
The airline announced the news via Facebook, stating that there were “just a few logistics” to attend to before it would “revert with fares and a schedule” for its routes.
January 3, 2023. Thabiso Goba for EyeWitness News.
Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) CEO Mpumi Mpofu said the liquidation of airlines such as Comair, SA Express and Kulula had left a significant void in the sector.
ACSA CEO Mpumi Mpofu said that airlines were struggling to meet domestic demand...the liquidation of airlines and the seat capacity from those airlines had not been restored...
Spotlight / 2022
- December 12, TAAG announcing new route to ACCRA and expanding to Durban 2023
- December 12, TAAG Angola expands regional operations with new route to the Republic of Congo
- December 6, South African Airways to relaunch three routes from Johannesburg this December
- December 3, Proflight adds extra schedules for travellers this Festive Season
- December 2, SAA Adding New Routes Ahead Of Holidays
- November 29, SARS just launched a new travel pass. It is voluntary – for now. Here's how it works.
- November 22, Notable new airline routes
- November 18. [Radio Interview/ The Business Report on Nova 103 Ep 50] AASA CEO interviewed at the Namibia Aviation & Connectivity Forum
- November 14, Inaugural Namibia Aviation & Connectivity Forum: Various experts expected to feature at maiden Aviation and Connectivity Forum in Namibia this week
- November 7, SA Airlines bidding for new routes; will flights become cheaper?
- November 5, New opportunities: SAA set to begin 4 Routes
- November 4, SAA to restart intercontinental flights in 1Q23
- October 31, Mozambique: LAM Director General elected Chairperson of AASA
- October 29, TAAG to launch flights to Accra and Durban In November
- October 16, Converting SA to full e-visa system tripped up by huge backlog, tech challenges, says Sisulu
- October 14, South African Minister of Tourism addresses the 52nd AASA AGA on developments in the tourism industry
- October 11. FlySafair adds 11 new destinations including Seychelles, Victoria Falls
- September 28. Airlink buys stake in FlyNamibia for flight efficiency, connecting small towns and global markets
- September 1. FlySafair adds new route between Johannesburg and Bloemfontein
- September 1. Emirates partners with South Africa as local airlines struggle
- August 31. New flight routes for passengers in South Africa
- August 25. FedAir signs agreement for new aircraft
- July 22. The tourism industry has the potential to unite us
- July 11. Airlink to launch Johannesburg-Victoria Falls flights
- July 1. Cape Town shines as the hub of Africa’s aviation recovery
- June 29. Congo Airways adds wet-leased A320
- June 29. Gauteng Air Access Network take-off as more new flights land at OR Tambo
- June 28. Madrid Airport inaugurates a new direct route with Luanda, operated by TAAG
- June 22. IT’S OFFICIAL: Face masks are gone, border checks and gatherings ban dropped in SA
- June 22. SA tourism and hospitality welcome 'long overdue' move to scrap Covid-19 regulations
- June 21. FlySafair to add new routes after rival’s collapse
- June 21. Air Austral Strengthening its presence in Madagascar, as it gradually resumes its regional flights
- June 17. Southern African airlines in Catch-22 as costs rise amid fragile demand
- February 16. Remove PCR test requirement for fully vaccinated inbound travellers - TBCSA
News / 2022
December 12, 2022. Aerotime Hub.
TAAG Angola Airlines (TAAG), the flag carrier of Angola, has launched a new regional route from its Luanda hub to Pointe-Noire, the second-largest city in the Republic of Congo. Starting from December 12, 2022, the Angolan carrier will operate two weekly flights between the two West African destinations.
November 7, 2022. Zawya.
After two years of restrictions, air travellers across the globe are eager to explore both domestic and international destinations
With domestic flights down by a third, South Africans have experienced unprecedented price hikes in airline tickets in the last few months. Now the tide is turning as established carriers' clamour for routes.
October 31, 2022. Club of Mozambique.
The DG of Linhas Aéreas de Moçambique (LAM), João Carlos Pó Jorge, was elected Chairperson of the AASA at the body’s 52nd AGM, the organisation announced today. Pó Jorge will lead AASA alongside Elmar Conradie, CEO of Safair, elected as Deputy Chairperson.
September 28, 2022. Compiled by Carin Smith for News24
Independent SA-based airline Airlink is acquiring a 40% strategic equity holding in privately-owned Windhoek-based FlyNamibia with the aim of creating more efficient flights to, from and within Namibia. In terms of the commercial franchise agreement,
Airlink and FlyNamibia will optimise their schedules to provide convenient connections between their respective flights and with long-haul inter-continental flights provided by Airlink's other commercial partners.
September 1, 2022.
The minister of tourism, Lindiwe Sisulu, has announced a partnership with middle eastern airline Emirates as domestic flight capacity remains constrained.
At a media briefing on Thursday (1 September), Sisulu said that during a visit to Dubai, bilateral agreements were made with the middle-eastern airline to give it access to South Africa’s domestic routes while Emirates promotes South Africa abroad.
Sisulu said that government is in a code-sharing agreement with the airline and has since signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to grow the tourism market in South Africa.
L FedAir signs agreement for new aircraft
August 25, 2022. Southern & Eastern African Tourism Update.
Federal Airlines has signed a purchase agreement with Textron Aviation for six new Cessna Caravans C208B EX aircraft.
Commenting on the announcement, Federal Airlines (FedAir) CEO, Mark Hurst, said: “The recovery of aviation and tourism in the southern African region has been significant in the post-pandemic period. Investing in the latest, most modern aircraft with enhanced technology, reliability, performance, and comfort levels is key to us at Federal Airlines to ensure that we grow and deliver our leading shuttle flight and charter services to lodges and key leisure destinations in the region.”
FedAir has become a leading air service provider flying shuttles out to some of Africa’s luxury safari lodges. It operates out of its own exclusive African-themed terminal departure lounge. Read more...
L Cape Town shines as the hub of Africa’s aviation recovery
July 1, 2022. Simply Flying.
Africa's most southerly international airport is showing strong signs of getting back to business.
If you had to pick a region that truly represents the notion of aviation potential, Africa would be it. The continent makes up around 12% of the world’s population, but only 2.5% of the passenger traffic. The impact of COVID and, more recently, the drawn-out conflict in Ukraine and its effect on fuel prices, has only further placed roadblocks in the path of this ready-to-flourish region.
IATA’s recent industry update highlighted the problems for the region’s recovery. The lower vaccination rate on the continent has dampened the trajectory of aviation resurgence to date, although it also notes that some ‘catching up’ is likely this year. At present, IATA expects demand to reach almost 80% of pre-crisis levels by the end of 2022, while capacity is expected to rise to roughly the same. Read more...
L Gauteng Air Access Network take-off as more new flights land at OR Tambo
June 29, 2022. BizCommunity.
More international and regional flights continue to prefer the OR Tambo International Airport as their gateway into South Africa and the rest of the African continent.
This bodes well for the visitor economy in Gauteng and the centrality of air services and active route development in increasing tourism, trade, and investment flows into our ailing economy.
The good news for the golden province of Gauteng is that Air Cote d’Ivoire will from 29 June 2022 commence its maiden route into Johannesburg. Eswatini Airways will also debut in July 2022 with further announcement by Qantas of the Perth to Joburg route in November, Air Belgium in September and Condor scheduled for November all adding the much-needed airlift capacity to drive economic recovery and sector development especially from our key regional and international source markets. Read more...
L Air Austral Strengthening its presence in Madagascar, as it gradually resumes its regional flights
June 21, 2022. Airspace Africa
Air Austral announced it will be reinforcing its flight program to Antananarivo and Nosy Be, as well as resuming its connections to Tamatave and Diego Suarez.
Based at Saint Denis-Roland Garros airport, the Reunionese company is gradually resuming service to its regional network after two years marked by the Covid-19 pandemic. Read more...
L Remove PCR test requirement for fully vaccinated inbound travellers - TBCSA
February 16, 2022. BizCommunity.com
The Tourism Business Council of South Africa (TBCSA) has called on government to remove PCR test requirement for fully vaccinated inbound travellers. Several countries with a strong tourism value proposition have already done so, says Tshifhiwa Tshivhengwa, CEO of TBCSA.
"Further delays in following suit quickly are detrimental to the country positioning itself as travel-ready and attractive. We have a very small window of opportunity as tourism destinations around the world like Australia reopen and others like the United Kingdom remove the negative PCR testing requirement for all inbound travellers," says Tshivhengwa. Read more...
L COVID: EU lifts flight suspension to southern Africa
January 10, 2022. DW.com
EU members have decided to lift a suspension of air travel from several southern African nations. The restriction was imposed to halt the spread of the omicron strain.
Member states of the European Union on Monday decided to lift the suspension of flights to and from southern Africa after air travel was put on hold due to the omicron variant. Read more...